What a host of names these times recall. Waterlands, Mayfield, Merry and Cuningham, Craigenhill, Wilton, Orchard, Kingshaw, Howlands and Slaghill come crowding to the mind.
Carluke had been but a few years before raised to the dignity of having a head post office, and the change from candle and oil lamp to gas had not long previously been made. Water, as yet, was obtained from open wells. The two-storey building was supplanting the "wee thackit but and ben", but a fair number of these were still to be seen in the High Street. The fine City of Glasgow Bank buildings at the Cross were but a few years old.
Carluke possessed a number of friendly societies, amongst which were the Oddfellows (later Carluke Friendly Society), the Gardeners, and the Carluke Workingmens Society. A half-yearly report of the meeting of the Oddfellows Society, published about this time, shows the income for the six months to be nearly £182, an expenditure of £57, and an accumulated capital of about £700. We mention the Oddfellows Society specially, because we are informed that it was in this Society the Carluke Cooperative movement had its birth. The number of members in the Society in 1860 was about l50, seventeen being reported as receiving the sick benefit.
Ten years later the accumulated capital of the Society had risen to nearly £1600. The early shop closing movement had not yet reached Carluke. ln a letter written about this time, a correspondent says: "l am astonished at our quiet little village being so far behind the times. ls there so much business being done here that it cannot be gone through with daylight in the now long days of June? Yet after the sun has bidden us adieu for the night, some of our respectable merchants may be seen plodding behind their counters."