Then came the question of stocking the shop. For this purpose a deputation was chosen from the original founders to go to Glasgow and purchase a stock of necessary articles. The movement had now begun to attract attention, and the deputation, which included the secretary, Mr H. Andrew, was accompanied to Carluke Station by a number of well-wishers. Amongst these was a well-known character, who was afflicted with a slight stutter, which became more and more pronounced in moments of excitement. As the train carrying the members of the deputation left the station, he ran along the platform waving his arms and stuttering, “ M-m-mind p-p-pit ile and w—w-weeks." (Coal oil and Lamp wicks) The incident may now be regarded as a promise of greater things to come, for the “ Store," through its 150 years of success, has been controlled and guided by men who minded pit ile and weeks," and those associated with them in the world of work. Then came that day in February, 1862, when Carluke Cooperative Society threw open its doors in the service of the community. An eye-witness depicts how the founders assembled in Market Road, and waited for the time when the “ Store " lwould be a going concern. A well-known merchant, who had his premises in Market Road, is said to have come out of his shop and. looking at the modest sign “ Carluke Equitable Pioneer Co-operative Society, Ltd., remarked, “ It will not be long until you are down out of that."