Clay tile and pipe manufacture was performed in Law and Carluke in locations like Waterlands, Hallcraig, Fiddlers Burn and numerous other locations
LAW TILE WORKS
CASTLEHILL BRICK AND TILE WORKS
SCOULARHALL TILE WORKS
THORNICE BANK BRICK AND TILE WORKS
CALEDONIAN TILE WORKS
BRAIDWOOD TILE WORKS
HALLCRAIG BRICK AND TILE WORKS C. 1886-1915
This site was operated by Andrew Gold & Co. It appears on the 1889, 1907 and 1915 O.S. maps. An advert appeared in Slater’s Directory in 1893.
LAW TILE WORKS
These works were situated 700m NW of Law Junction Tile Works.
Andrew Gold and Loudon & Russell operated these works from c. 1860. Gibson later took the adjoining clay field at this site.
Gold moved to Waterlands Clay Field about 1904. Waterlands became Law Junction Tile Works.
By the late 1880s, Gold was operating Hallcraig Brick and Tile Works and Gibson was operating Whiteshaw Tile Works. (See 1910 O.S. map extract)
HALLCRAIG BRICK WORKS C. 1880-1947
“The manufacture of fire-clay bricks commenced about 1880, when the Coltness Iron Co. opened a brick works at Hallcraig, the bricks being made from blaes left from earlier manual workings. It’s recorded by Mr Carvel, in his study of the Coltness Iron Co., that 8,000,000 bricks were supplied from Hallcraig for works in connection with the construction of the Caledonian Railway line through Glasgow.”
(3rd Statistical Account, pages 509-510)
The “bing” bricks were made from part clay and part blaes. The company entered the brick making business not only to provide for its own purposes but also for an ever widening circle of buyers.
MAYFIELD BRICK WORKS 1947-2013
Hallcraig was replaced by the Mayfield Works in 1947 where the Coltness Iron Co. ran the operation until the formation of the Caledonian Brick Co.
The Scottish Brick Co. Ltd. acquired the works in 1978.
Bricks were marked “COLTNESS” and after 1978, “SBC”.
BIRKFIELD BRICK WORKS C.1950-
Glasgow Iron and Steel Co. operated these brick works which produced “bing” bricks - similar to those described in Mayfield.
Bricks are marked “GISCOL”.
STAFFORDSHIRE BLUE CLAYS
This unusual clay was discovered in the Braidwood area in the 1890s and led to the erection of:
NELLFIELD C.1892-post 1915
LEE C. 1892- pre 1907 (Lee Terra Cotta Co./ Scottish Terra Cotta Co./ Scottish Terra Cotta and Metallic Brick Co.)
CLEGHORN 1895- post 1911
These works specialised in the production of red and blue engineering and facing bricks.
MEADOW BRICK WORKS (BRAIDWOOD)
John McDonald operated the Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood which were situated on the opposite side of the road from Scott’s Tearoom (approx.). They operated from c. 1889-1920.
McDonald bricks were used to build the machine foundations of the Terra Cotta Works at Cleghorn.