Coalmasters and Brickmakers, East Law Colliery and Mauldslie Fire Clay Works, Carluke.
John Loudon had his own grocer’s and draper’s business in Newmains. He joined Archibald Millar in partnership in 1873 as a joiner, builder, brick maker and contractor.
The joiner’s business was successful for four years. In 1873 they took a coalfield and brickfield at Mauldslie and started brick production. The colliery opened in 1875 after two years boring.
Archibald Miller had his own joiner’s business from 1868. He joined Loudon in 1873. Both put £800 into the business.
The joinery and contracting partnership was dissolved about 1877.
Miller then started Stonefield Sawmill in Blantyre. Loudon started as a flesher in Sauchiehall Street at a cost of £400. This business lasted 9 months. He then went into wholesale confectionery and preserve in Campbellfield Street, Glasgow at a cost of £1000. Again he lost all. He then became the manager of the colliery and brickfield.
Sequestration proceedings were begun in July 1881.