Pick a story from any of the lists below

open all lists    close all lists     A quick review of all the content




Old Manse Growers (Carluke)

St John’s Church old manse and adjoining glebe was on the south facing bank of the Minister’s Burn (or Jock’s Burn) below the present Kirkton Church.
The manse was completed in 1843.

The buildings and ground were bought in 1916 by David Carruthers , originally from Ayrshire. At first, he rented out the house rooms but later moved into the house himself.

The business was carried on by his son, John, seen below working in the greenhouses. Soft fruit was also grown for sale. During the Second World War, Children would pick blackcurrants and redcurrants, and were paid by the punnet filled.

The glebe field was rented from Kirkton Church and was used to grow roses until the land was sold by the church to the builders of the Kirkton and Fleming Court Sheltered Housing Complex.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read more stories from the Places section
A History of Education in Carluke Parish
Climpy Wind Farm (video)
Hamilton Clock History
Outside Toilets 1914
Stewarts the Joiners 1921


Last Updated on Apr-26-2016