This document was written around 1900, author unknown. It provides interesting details about those who contributed to the contruction of Rankin Hall, and their pride in that achievement. Less than 100 years later the building fell prey to the development plan for the town and it was demolished.
Previous to July 1884. Carluke had many halls but no town hall. On the 18th and 19th July, 1884, the Rankin Memorial Hall was opened to the public with two day’s bazaar. The different lines of activity which resulted in the erection of the Town Hall, as it will be ever popularly known, had wide ramifications through the social life of the town and parish, and stretch far back in the history of our town.
They include the parish bank, an institution which for well over 100 years has played a prominent part in the social life of Carluke; the Carluke Useful Knowledge Society, a learned society founded in 1836, which for 50 years flourished in our midst and gave rise to many useful institutions.
From 1830 until 1880 the population of Carluke parish showed a substantial increase in numbers, this being due to the large number of new industries which had sprung up in the parish. That period of 50 years saw the rise of the ironworks at Castlehill and the development on a large scale of the mineral resources of the parish. During that 50 years not only had the population increased, but the social life of the people had undergone a great change.