Thomas Prentice was born the son of John and Mary Prentice, in 1857 at West Mains, Braehead, near Carnwath. In the census of 1871 he was listed as “apprentice saddler”, this would have made him just 14 years old.
In the Lanark County Valuation Rolls, for every year between 1865 and 1877 it states that a Mr. John Banks, Saddler, leased a house in Kirkton Street, Carluke, from a Mr. James Lawson Stewart and from 1878 onwards a house and shop in Kirkton Street was leased by Thomas Prentice for an annual rent of £15 from the same Mr. James Lawson Stewart. Also, we know from MacDonalds’ Scottish Directory of 1884 that Thomas Prentice of Carluke was established in 1877, so it appears that Prentice took over Mr. Banks business.
He supplied harnesses for riding, working and carriage horses. He was very well known all over Scotland, in the early part of the last century, for his excellent craftsmanship and his location, with so many farms in the area, ensured business remained good.