Pick a story from any of the lists below

open all lists    close all lists     A quick review of all the content




Law Hospital

Wartime Image taken by the Luftwaffe in 1940

Buried in the archives for the Luftwaffe during WWII there are aerial reconnaissance photos of Law Hospital near Carluke. Incorrectly identified as an army barracks, Law hospital had been constructed as a wartime military hospital to handle the expected huge casualties of mechanized war.

Fortunately, Law Hospital, built in 1939 was never actually bombed, though Clydeside and Glasgow were blitzed in 1941, so perhaps the Luftwaffe records were revised.

By the time Law Hospital was in use as a public hospital in 1946 and as part of NHS in 1948 though 2001 the buildings, constructed of asbestos roofs and concrete brieze-block walls, became a mainstay hospital service under the NHS servicing Lanark, Carluke and Wishaw precincts for tens of thousands of people.

 

Modern day Law Hospital prior to closure
Read more stories from the Places section
Outside Toilets 1914 (the next story in sucession)
Carluke Market Place
Hamilton Clock History
Miscellaneous Photos
Old Manse Growers (Carluke)
Outside Toilets 1914


Created before 2012