Pick a story from any of the lists below

open all lists    close all lists     A quick review of all the content




Outside Toilets 1914

 We like to think that the 20th century Britain was at least sanitary - Why not, our current lifestyles would lead to that assuption. Here is an extract from http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/63.html  regarding such

Castlehill, Carluke
This property is owned by the Shotts Iron Company, and consists of 7 single- and 16 two-roomed houses. The houses are strapped with wood inside, and lighted by very small windows. There are two washhouses having boilers, but no water is laid in. The sanitary accommodation is very unsatisfactory. The water supply consists of two stand-pipes for the whole property. The entire place is in a very indifferent condition. Rent, 2s. weekly for a single-, and 3s. weekly for a two-roomed house. [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March 1914]

Stone Row, Law, Carluke (Wilsons & Clyde Coal Company)
This property consists of 25 single- and 25 double-apartment houses ; rental, per week, 1s. 10d. and 2s. 7d., including rates. There is a dry privy attached to each house. These privies are a most objectionable feature, and at the date of our visit (6th May 1913) the conditions were quite revolting. [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March 1914]


Thornton Row, Law, Carluke (Wilsons & Clyde Coal Company)
This row consists of 8 double- and 12 single-apartment houses; rental, 2s. 1d. and 1s. 4d. per week, including rates. There is no convenience at this place, and the sanitation is in a very backward condition. There are only three open privy middens for the whole twenty families. [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March 1914]


Brownlie Rows, Law, Carluke (Owned by Archd. Russell & Company)
This property consists of single- and double-apartment houses. They are old and somewhat out of repair, being affected by the mineral workings. The sanitation is very bad - open dry privy and midden combined. These places were unapproachable at the date of our visit (6th May 1913). [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March 1914]


Woodland Square, Law, Carluke (Owned by Wilsons & Clyde Coal Company)
This property is locally known as Woodland Square, and consists of 8 single- and 18 double-apartment houses ; rental, 1s. 9d. and 2s. 4d. per week, including rates. The houses are of the ordinary miners' row type, with no regard for sanitation or other convenience. [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March 1914]

 Note: Compare with - In 1918, accounts of living conditions in California village in Falkirk were presented by the Stirling Miners' Union to the Royal Commission on Housing which was critical of housing in East Stirlingshire pit villages. Among their objections to the conditions in California were that there were 'No washhouses, no coal-houses ; there are six dry-closets and one street well for twenty-four families'. The village ash-pits were cleaned monthly and the mineral railway, which ran through the village, was also used as a drain and sewer. Nonetheless, this was seen as an improvement on the previous situation, where the inhabitants resorted to fields and hedgerows and the village was marked by middens.

 

 

Read more stories from the Places section
Stewarts the Joiners 1921 (the next story in sucession)
A History of Education in Carluke Parish
Castlehill Colliery
Climpy Wind Farm (video)
Forrests Greenhouses in Braidwood
Gazette - Wee Thackit -1866


Created before 2012