As well as those services that actually operate within the Parish of Carluke, the Central S.M.T. Company have a number of others that operate outwith the Parish boundaries that are centred upon the Carluke depot.
One of these is a service that links up the three shires of Lanark, Ayr and MidLothian by running from Strathaven to Muirkirk, Douglas and West Calder. Originally the Gala Motor Service operated from Lanark to West Calder. This service was taken over by Stewart and McDonald Ltd. in 1929 and extended to Strathaven. With the absorption of Stewart and McDonald Ltd, by the Central S.M.T. in 1952, this service passed into the hands of the latter Company, and was still further developed.
Two other such services are those from Lanark to Hamiilton and from Lanark to Wishaw via the low road. Fol-.
lowing the valley of the Clyde and passing through the orchard districts of Kirkfieldbank, Hazelbank, Crossford and Rosebank, these services are extremely popular in the Spring when the fruit trees are in blossom.
To maintain so many services, at least 52 buses operate from the Carluke depot and for these approximately 80 drivers and a corresponding number of conductors (or conductresses) are required, together with some 30 workers on day and night shifts as mechanics, cleaners, etc. A small office staff administer the affairs of the depot and the bus inspectors of the Company operate from Headquarters at Traction House, Motherwell.
Only one independent service still operates within the Parish. In 1919, Mr George Duncan, of Law ran a small
car from Law to Wishaw. Later he replaced this by a bus in order to cope with increasing traffic. Through time, his brother, Mr Adam Duncan, came into the firm and in 1935 took over control of it. In 1959 the service was extended to Carluke by way of Lawhill and Hamburg Cottages. Such other bus proprietors as may be found within the Parish exist only for private hire, tours, etc activities for which provision is also made both by the Central S.M.T. Company, Ltd. , and by Mr Duncan.