In 1833, there were six side schools in the parish and in 1864 there were side schools at Law, Braidwood, Yieldshields and Kilcadzow together with a Roman Catholic and a female (girls) school in the town itself. In 1824, an Act permitted side schools in districts distant from the central parish school. records exist of two side schools in Chapel Street, one at the upper corner of Cairneymount Road and the other at number 52. There were two in Hamilton Street, one of them in part
of the building now occupied by Brooks (Drapers) and the other near the site of the Smithy. The house next to the Smithy
was originally built as a school. Other side schools existed at Carnwath Road, Old Bridgend. Stewart Street and Market
Road and for a short time in the hall of the Crown Hotel.
About 1835, Coltness Iron Company began to mine iron-stone on Milton Lockhart estate and erected a school at Mayfield for the workers children. The site is now covered by the blaes bing.
At Castlehill, around the early 1850s, Shotts Iron Company provided a school for their workers children. First of all in the Cross Row, then in Furnace Row, and lastly in Weighhouse Row, where the school remained till 1889, when the abolition of fees closed all side schools. Another Castlehill school existed around 1885 in Marshalls buildings.
In the early 18th century there is a record of a school at Hyndshaw but this had disappeared in 1850. The construction of a railway line through the parish by the Caledonian Railway Company brought several Irish labourers and led to the growth of a small Roman Catholic community. The earliest Roman Catholic School was a two-apartment cottage situated on approximately the site oi the present R.C. school and was opened in 1859. Around 1870, there was a break of a few years and the school re-opened in 1874. The present buildings were erected in 1926-27. The position of Law School in relation to the present village of Law is due to the fact that the earlier centre of population was at Lawhill. Around 1726-28 there were a number of dames schools in Law district. By 1820, a school had been established at Lawhill. The present school was erected in 1874. Four additional rooms were added in 1906 and in 1912 Domestic Science and Technical Classrooms were added. Before 1820, a building, now demolished, was used as a school at Brockshole, on the road from Brownlie to Garrion Bridge, and there was at one time another school on the right, a little beyond Cardys Bridge. Kilncadzow is one of the earliest localities in the parish where education was provided outwith the parish school , and a school seems to have existed there in 1719. During the first half of the 19th century an adventure school and a subscription school existed side by side. The present school buildings were erected around 1881.
A school existed in Braidwood nearly 200 years ago - a thatched building nearer the main road than the present building. The next school Braidwood Subscription school, forms part of the present building. The front part of the present building, projecting towards the road, was built by the first School Board in 1872.
The earliest school at Yieldshields was probably the cottage now occupied by Mrs McPhee. The second school was held in the cottage by the burnside, dated 1827, and now occupied by Mr John McMillan. The present building was erected around 1880 and underwent alteration in 1925, when the schoolhouse was built.
This brief record clearly shows that Carluke Parish has never lagged behind other parishes in the provision of schools for its young inhabitants. Space does not permit a discussion of the subjects taught or of the many worthy men and women who laboured in the schools described.